Friday, October 17, 2008

Update

I just thought I would give an update on the condition of my mom. We have been down to see her oncologist several times and have come up with a plan of action. They feel that the small tumor in her brain is calcification and not cancer so that is a positive. They also want to leave the tumor on her toe alone so that they can kind of tell how the tumors in her lungs are reacting to the medication based on the looks of her toe. She started a medication called Sutent 2 weeks ago. She is just starting to see some of the side effects from that (sore and sensitive mouth, loss of appetite, and exhaustion) they want her to take a few days off from the medication and then lower the dose to see if that helps. I can not believe the difference in her toe, it is like you can actually see the medication working. Truly amazing!!! They want her to take this medication for 4 weeks and then take 2 weeks off, then repeat again. At that time she will have another scan to see where things stand. She is just taking things one day at a time, but seems to be doing really well. She is the most positive person I know, she IS going to beat this. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers, we really appreciate it. I LOVE YOU MOM!!!!!

2 comments:

Julie Wiley said...

I am so glad to hear things are going well for Aunt Geri! Please send her our love!

Mitzi said...

Al, I'm glad to hear that darling Geri is doing well. What a positive woman to go through all the meds. and exaustion etc. and stay upbeat. She will do great! I love reading your blog. and keeping up on the family. Sounds like you and Sammi had a fun celibration, good for you!